Monday, May 17, 2010

McGary Working On Game and Grades


This weekend I got the chance to see Mitch McGary play at the Adidas May Classic. I caught two of his games and he looked sharp in both of them. He had a double double in the second game I saw, a game in which he hit four 3-pointers. After his first game he talked about a number of things including his academics, recovering from an injury, college recruiting, and what he's working to improve on the court. Below is what he had to say.

When asked to give a brief update on recovering from an injury and how his grades are looking:

"Now that I have my grades and my health under control I can really focus on improving my game on the court. I broke my foot early on in the high school season and then I had Mono so I only played 10 games this year."

Talking about preparing for the college game in the weight room:

"I've been putting on a lot of weight, I weigh about 240 (pounds) right now. Hopefully I can get up to about 250 or 255, not too heavy but real jacked up. I just want to be all muscle without any fat."

The schools that are currently recruiting him:

"Dayton, Cincinnati, Indiana, Purdue, and Xavier right now. My only offer is from Purdue."

When asked if anyone is standing out at this point:

"Just Cincinnati, I like Coach Davis a lot, he's been calling me a lot. Coach Crean from Indiana has been calling me a lot. At Purdue Coach Paul Lusk has been talking to me a lot."

On a potential offer from Indiana and what it would mean:

"I think they're waiting to see my grades, they were a little worried about that. I've heard Coach Crean has said he really wants wants me to play here. I would love to play here, there is so much history, but I just gotta get my grades under control."

What part of his game he'd like to work on and what coaches are telling him to work on:

"My strength and probably my ball-handling. I can shoot but I don't really have to because we have a lot of shooters on our team. A couple coaches have said they want me to work on my inside game, and also my handles so when I get to college I might be able to play the perimeter."

Where he fits in the college game:

"I think I'm a power forward who can play inside and out. I just really want to work on my handles."

When asked if he knows exactly where he stands academically:

"I'm not sure right now. I just need to keep working at them and hopefully get them to the mark they need to be at."

If any coaches have suggested him reclassifying or attending prep school:

"Yeah, a couple coaches have talked to me about that, but I'm still not sure what I want to do."

On the early offer from Purdue, and gauging their current interest:

"Yeah they called me last week, they're still interested and have a scholarship for me."

If he had any plans to visit Cincinnati:

"I think I'll go to Cincinnati this summer, and then take another one to IU and Dayton pretty soon."

No comments:

Post a Comment