Sunday, May 9, 2010

Q&A with Branden Dawson AAU State Finals

I sat down with Branden Dawson after his first game on Saturday and we talked about a variety of things. Including his high school season, next season's goals, and his recruitment. Branden had 19 points and 9 rebounds in his first game Saturday, and 18 points in his second game. He blocked shots, grabbed rebounds on both ends of the floor, got to the line where he converted, and even knocked down some perimeter shots. He was definitely the most impressive player at the tournament Saturday, absolutely dominating his opponents.

Indy Hoops: Can you describe yourself to me as a player? What are your strengths, and what are some things you'd like to improve on?

Branden Dawson: "My strengths are rebounding, my aggressiveness, and scoring ability. I think I need to work on my ball-handling, my (basketball) IQ, my shooting and mid-range game."

Hoops: I know you're a versatile player, what do coaches tell you they want you to play?

BD: "Coaches say they want me to play the 3. They like my athleticism, and just want me to play."

Hoops: Could you talk about your high school season a little bit?

BD: "Oh yeah, we had a great season. It was our first time making it to the championship game. We came up a little short, but it was a great experience for our guys making it there."

Hoops: And is that a goal to make it back there next season?

Dawson: "Oh yes, that's definitely a goal, that and winning Mr. Basketball."

Hoops: As far as college goes, which schools are you considering?

Dawson: "Indiana, Purdue, UCLA, Marquette, Georgetown, and Michigan State. They are really good schools."

Hoops: Which schools do you like the most out of those?

Dawson: "Well I like them all a lot, there's not one specifically I like."

Hoops: Tell me something you really like about Purdue, Michigan State, and Indiana?

Dawson: "With Purdue you've got greating coaching and great players. I grew up playing with Robbie Hummel and E'Twaun Moore." "With Michigan State you know they have a good team, a great atmosphere, and an all-around good ball club." "Indiana you know they have a good atmosphere and they're a home state school."

Hoops: Do you have a deadline or are you still waiting? And would you prefer to sign in the fall or spring of your senior year?

Dawson: "I'm not setting a deadline, just waiting. I do want to sign in the spring of my senior year."

Hoops: What are some other tournaments your team is playing in this summer?

Dawson: "We'll be playing in the May Classic next weekend in Bloomington. We'll also be at AAU nationals in Florida."

Here's a quick rundown on Dawson's game:
When you think of Branden Dawson the first thing that comes to mind is his high-level motor. Dawson simply goes full speed on every play, making him a dangerous rebounder and defender. Dawson's ideal college position is small forward, but rebounds like a big man, using his long wingspan and high level athleticism to pull down boards. Another great trait about Dawson is his passing. At times he runs the inbounds plays for his team, and is a great passer out of the post. Offensively Dawson is a good ball-handler, but needs to have consistent outside shooting. His best scoring is done in the paint moving off cuts or attacking the rim. His back to the basket game is not great, but he shows flashes and good touch in the post. Dawson is an adequate free-throw shooter, but could stand to work on his free-throws along with his jumper. Defensively Dawson can guard 3 positions. He has the strength and length to handle bigger opponents in the paint, and the quickness and length to disrupt opponents on the wing. As Dawson improves his perimeter skills he will continue to improve as a player.

No comments:

Post a Comment