Thursday, May 20, 2010

Q&A with Gary Harris at Adidas May Classic

I spoke with Gary Harris this past weekend at the Adidas May Classic. The 6'3 or 6'4 195 pound shooting guard (his words) updated me on the schools that are recruiting him, his chances of playing football in college, and much more. The interview is below.

Indy Hoops: How he would you describe your game?

Gary Harris: "I have a toughness to my game, I like to get to the basket, but when people back off I like to shoot my jump shot."

Hoops: How did your high school season go?

GH: "It was a good season. We only lost 4 games, and we thought we could have gone further, but I have no complaints."

Hoops: What are your goals for your high school team next year?

GH: "Just to keep improving and not take a step back from this year. We don't want to flame out as early."

Hoops: Who all has offered you scholarships so far?

GH: "I have ten offers so far. Illinois, Notre Dame, Xavier, IUPUI, Minnesota, Cincinnati, Indiana, Ohio State, Butler, and Vanderbilt."

Hoops: Are there any other schools that are recruiting you?

GH: "Washington and Michigan State have been calling a little bit."

Hoops: Do you think you will want to stay local with your college choice or does distance matter?

GH: "I'm not sure right now I'm just still trying to take it all in. I'm going to wait a while and then during my junior year I'll sit down with my parents and really think about where I want to go."

Hoops: Your Dad said that your Mom played at Purdue. Are you hearing from Purdue at all?

GH: "No I haven't talked to them in a while."

Hoops: I understand you also play football. Do you think you might want to play football in college?

GH: "I'm not sure, it just depends on how it all plays out when I decide my college."

Hoops: What are a few things you're really looking for when deciding a college?

GH: "The relationship I have with the coaching staff and how I fit into the program as a player."


Here's my scouting report on Gary Harris:
A skilled combo guard with explosive athleticism, Harris is rapidly improving his game. Harris only averaged 14 points per game this season, but his potential is undeniable. He has the bounce, quickness, and athleticism to take opponents off the dribble and score above the rim. Combine that with an improving jump shot and a high level motor, and Harris has the total package needed to be a backcourt star.

No comments:

Post a Comment